Saturday, July 11, 2009

From rags to riches...

Sorry for the delay but I've got reasons. I'm in the main Berlin train station right now and it's around 12:30 p.m. here. Last time I wrote was Prague so I'll try to pick it up from there. After meeting up with a friend at their hotel, I decided to stay with them since they had an extra bed. Talk about going from the outhouse to the penthouse. My first night in Prague I was waking up to a bunch of drunken roommates showing up at about 1:00 in the morning....my next two nights, I'm staying where Pres. O'Bama stayed while he was in Prague a few weeks ago....just a tad bit of a difference there! My second day in Prague, I took a train to the town of Kutna Hora to see the Bone Church....google it. It was interesting. Upon getting back, I just walked around Prague. I was able to find so many things. I went to the church where the final showdown happened in the WWII mission, "Operation Anthropoid." (also worth googling). The next day then, I took a trip down to the beautiful little town on Cesky Krumlov where I ate in an old Medieval dungeon, and rafted down the Vltava river for 15 kilometers. Unfortunately, after about the 1st kilometer it began to rain and it poured then beginning with the 2nd kilometer. The sun came out again just as we got finished. Fortunately, I had extra clothes and I'm not feeling any effects from getting wet and cold...it just made me paddle faster is all. I left Prague yesterday morning and rode 6 hours to Berlin. I stayed in the town of Wittenberge about 50 kilos/miles ? south of Berlin. It is where Martin Luther began the Protestant Reformation in 1517 when he nailed his 95 theses to the doors of the church there. The place I stayed was right next to the church. Today, I have been out to Potsdam to see Frederick the Great's "Sanssouci" which means "without a care" I think. To me it should mean, "without a golfcourse" because I can't believe how much land is there without a fairway in sight. I walked about 6 miles around it, to it, and to the train station after it so it's been a long day. Oh....I've booked a night train to Paris that leaves at 7:30 p.m. Til then, I've got lots more things to see in Berlin. Oh, I'm sorry about not writing the last few days, but that real nice hotel I stayed in......they wanted 12 dollars to use the internet.....for only 30 minutes. Oh, and I've been doing something different here lately. I've been using the net to book rooms so that takes some stress out of things. I'm already booked for the next two nights in Lille, France and then the 2 nights after that in London. Hard to believe this trip is winding down but it really is. Well, time to go. Hope everyone is well.

God Bless,
SNorris
<><

No comments:

Post a Comment