Saturday, July 4, 2009

Austria

It's been a tough couple of days. Yesterday, I headed up into the mountains outside Salzburg to try my hand at "sommerrodelbahn." Basically, it's a tobaggon run. Weather made me wait a few hours to do it as they won't go if it is raining. Finally, I got to give it a try but only once as the weather came back. Played it conservative the first time down, and was hoping to open it up the 2nd but that didnt happen. I did get some fun footage with my video camera going down it. Today, I took a train to Branau am Inn which was Hitler's birthplace. I wanted to symbollically do something to make the guy roll over in his grave, so did an incredibly American thing while in the town....ate at McDonalds. Had a Big Mac, pomme frites...that's fries, and a coke. Even made some of my fries into a swasticka before eating them. I think it's great that there's a McDonalds now in the town he was born. I had hoped to get to another place out in the country but didn't get off at the right stop which prevented me from catching the next train, etc. Concerned that I might get stuck out in the country and not make it back to Salzburg, I decided to play it conservative and just get back to town where I am now. It's about 6:30 pm here now and am not sure what I'll do the rest of the evening. Maybe just lounge around and turn in early as I have to be up early to catch a train to Vienna. So far by the way, I think I've been on some 35 trains, 6-8 buses, 2 cars, and 2 boats. I think I've walked around 197 miles according to the pedometer which is likely not that much since it records even little steps as going 3 feet. Guess that's it for now.

God Bless,
SNorris
<><

No comments:

Post a Comment