Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Experiencing "the lasts"

I only have one night left now in Europe. I can feel myself on the back end of a trip when I start noticing the "last" of things. My last moment in a country that wasn't English, my last time at wondering whether I was going to find the place I needed to stay at (Glasgow, Scotland), my last time of struggling with the transportation (probably yesterday morning going by train from Glasgow to Stranauer and then catching the ferry across the Irish sea to Belfast), spending my last English pounds and cents (I don't like carry money that I can spend anymore so I just kind of buy anything and everything on the last day), riding my last train (that was yesterday in Scotland), checking into my last "new" hostel (that was Glasgow), and checking into my last hostel (that was this morning in Dublin). After checking into the Belfast hostel yesterday, I went out souvenir shopping and also went to the "Avoca" cafe right next to the Belfast main square. Spent some down time then back at the hostel cleaning up and got a pretty good night's sleep. Since I had "pounds" to spend this morning, I went to the grocery store first and bought stuff for my 3-hour (without a toilet) bus trip from Belfast to Dublin. Of course, I had to make sure that after my shopping spree I still had 13.05 GBP (British pounds) to pay for my bus ticket. It was raining when I got to Dublin (just like it was when I arrived the first time) but it cleared up the rest of the day. It was funny coming back to Dublin and very nice because I had gotten so familiar with the city only 1 month earlier. I think that I take familiarity with things for granted most of the time, but not so on a trip like this where almost everything seems new. I spent today just walking around Belfast mostly and making sure that things are set for tomorrow. I've got to catch an early bus to the airport so that I'm there in plenty of time before my 9 am flight. With the time change and everything, I believe I'm supposed to get into Omaha sometime after 3:00 pm which includes like a 3 hour layoff in Newark. Have been buying some souvenirs and getting rid of my extra Euros (less the cost of the bus fare and some extra money to buy food/liquid for the plane ride. Not sure when my next post will be...just know it will be done from the computer at my folk's farm most likely. I'll save my final thoughts for then. That's it. Hope everyone is well.

God Bless,
SNorris
<><

No comments:

Post a Comment