Monday, July 13, 2009

...back to rags.

The Berlin to Paris train was interesting to say the least. With 6 people in the cabin facing each other, there wasn't much sleep going on for me. At around 2:00 a.m. I noticed some people that had sacked out on the alleyway outside the cabin, so I decided to join them with my sleeping bag. Suprisingly, despite the noise of sleeping on the train floor, I got about 5 1/2 hrs of good sleep. Traveled to Lille, France yesterday and then headed out to Arras to catch a tour of a WWI battlefield. And it was here that I made my first, research error of the trip I feel. There was no tour!!! Not sure how I messed that one up but I did. So I was left in the position of trying to find something to do around here for today. So I ended up travelling to Rouen, France. This is where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake in 1431? Ended up being a pretty good trip. Of course, I had a tough time catching a train out of the town and ended up having to kill about 4-5 hours but that was o.k. Tonight is my last night on the continent and it is a bit of a relief. From now on, I'll be dealing with the English language. I'll catch a train to Calais, France tomorrow and then take a ferry from Calais to Dover, England. Then to London for a few days before flying to Belfast, Ireland....where they also speak English. I did save alot of money by not having to pay for any of the World War I tours I was originally planning on taking. I think I have an idea of how I can spend that extra money toward the end of the trip....any guesses out there??? I'm sure there's more but there's a line developing to use the computer so I'm going to sign off. It's hard to believe that my trip is winding down so quickly. It's been enjoyable and the next week should be alot of fun as well.

God Bless,
Scott
<><

No comments:

Post a Comment