Wednesday, July 15, 2009

France's parting gift

France didn't want me to leave...let me explain. Yesterday was July 14th...France's "Liberty" day or Bastille Day. As a result, the 6:27 train I wanted to get on, didn't exist. In fact, I had to get to another station in Lille in order to catch a 9:12 train that "kind of" took me to the town of Calais, more accurately the countryside outside of Calais. From there it was a bus into the town, and then another bus to the ferry. Then it was across the English channel. So good to just speak English. I don't have to think now before I say anything which is so nice. From Dover where the ferry docked, I got a bus to London and I arrived at around 4:00 p.m. yesterday. I walked to my hostel because they wanted about 6 bucks for a ticket. Once checked in, I went to the Globe theater and bought a ticket for the 2:00 show today. Later last night then, I went and met up with 150-200 other people to go on the "Jack the Ripper" walk. It was very interesting as we walked around London's east end learning about the autumn of 1888. Creepy story and I will admit I didn't sleep all that great last night. Today, I walked...and walked....and walked. My pedometer read 7.32 miles when I left this morning....it now says 29.87 miles. I hit most of the tourist sites of London, and walked through some rain in the process...not downpours at least, more moderate to light. At around 1:00 p.m. I headed to the Globe theater which is a remake of Shakespeare's theater. I paid 5 pounds which is around $7.50 to be a groundling. That's pretty much a "peasant" and I stood for around 3 hours watching the show. Besides the toil on my legs, I enjoyed it. I couldn't understand all of that old English stuff but I still enjoyed it. The show was "Troilus and Cressida." After that, I walked across Tower Bridge, past the Tower of London and then back here. I also got some information about what I need to do tomorrow which is get on the Tube and get to Heathrow airport so I can fly to Belfast. Big plans for tomorrow in Belfast....shower, shave, laundry, maybe a nap?, and try to get ahold of Bill. That's about it. Hope all is well.

God Bless,
Scott
<><

No comments:

Post a Comment