Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Got my lesson plans for World History done!

So many things went right today. Caught a 6:20 am train to Koblenz and then another to Moselkern on the Mosel river, arriving around 8:00 a.m. From there I hiked about an hour back into the woods to Eltz castle....the most intact Medieval castle around. Got there about 10 minutes before it opened. Since I was the only one there who needed an English tour, I got a private tour. It was really impressive and I really wished I had students there to experience it. I gave in to temptation at the souveneir store and also had myself a bratwurst and fries with curry sauce at their little restaurant. So I kind of splurged today which is okay cuz I really havent done it all that much. The 2nd castle I visited was Rheinfels at St. Goar. This one was in ruins as it had been destroyed by the French Revolutionary army. I had printed off a tour from the internet and it worked well. It even led me through the underground passages beneath the castle which required a flashlight....I only made one wrong turn. I got envious at this castle as their were a bunch of school groups there that were doing all sorts of activities....sword fighting, crossbow shooting, archery, etc. and then were given a tour. I knew the kids I teach would love something like this and I couldnt help but think if they showed any Fenskes I know (or some of their friends), that they would have it mastered within 5 minutes and then could have defeated the instructors and taken over the place. What Louis the 14th's army couldn't do, I think Fenske and friends could have. By this time, it was around 5:00 pm with storm clouds looming overhead, I hopped on a boat to ride up the Rhine river from St. Goar to where I am staying at Bacharach.....beautiful trip. Tomorrow I will be off to Munich (Munchen) with maybe a stop at Mainz before. I thought it would be an easy walking day today but I ended up puting in another 10 plus miles I think. My pedometer turned over again which is the 3rd time now....it turns over after 50 miles. Gotta get.

SNorris
<><

1 comment:

  1. hey its jed and guy. we liked your article but we wasn't for sure if you were talking about us or cole lol. hope you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete